Tuesday, June 7, 2011

16.5 weeks!

Not much to report, but I wanted to check in anyways. The most exciting thing lately is that I am definitely feeling movement! Sometimes it's fluters, but more frequently now it's been squirming and rolling, since about 15 weeks. I know that's super early for a plus size first time mom, but there's no mistaking it. When I cough or sneeze, it sends my poor baby into a frenzy, and it is very obviously the baby moving. I feel so lucky I do get to feel movement this early, and it definitely helps make me less paranoid. There are definitely days where I don't feel much, but I know that's normal so early on and I try not to worry. And now that my morning sickness has pretty much disappeared (though I still gag brushing my teeth and swallowing my prenatal) and I pee less often, there are days I have a hard time believing I'm pregnant. But then I will feel the baby move, or I will get a horrible headache, or round ligament pain and I'm right back in the thick of it. On particularly paranoid days if I need more proof, I can very obviously feel my uterus and the fundus is right where it should be. Plus if I lay on my tummy it's like laying on a cantaloupe (and it usually makes the baby squirm/roll).

There are still days though where despite feeling all of these wonderful things, I can't help but think of what if's and worst case scenarios. Surprisingly, we worry very little about our increased risk of Downs. I thought for sure that despite my rationalizations, pregnancy hormones would get in the way and make me sick over it. But I just really feel like everything is going to be fine, and that there's no point worrying about something that we have no control over. I am anxious for our appointment and ultrasound in 10 days, where hopefully we can find out more. But I'm not frantic or anything.

This past weekend, we started cleaning and organizing the basement to make room for the furniture in our guest room. Once that's moved out (hopefully in the next few weeks) we will be able to start on the nursery, which is going to have an owl theme! We need to wait on the gender to order fabric and other accents, but I think we're going to leave the walls as is (a nice beigey taupey colour) and just bring colour into the room in other ways. Mom and I are going to paint the sliding closet doors (they take up one entire wall) and then paint trees with owls on them. I'm going to be making the crib sheet(s), valence/drapery, crib skirt, and a matching blanket for playtime (no quilt or bumpers as you don't use them anyways). We already have the crib and change table from our previous pregnancy (we bought it super early, but it was such a great deal and I am so glad we did!) we just need the crib mattress.

This weekend we also bought a used Valco stroller, which included a rain cover, cup holder, toddler seat ,and kick board for $280. Brand new this would have cost us over $700! We also picked up a used Snap N Go for $50 ($100 new, and it has only been used a few times), and I am getting the car seat adapter for the Valco for $25 (normally $65 new!). So all in all we saved over $520. Not bad!!! I have become addicted to Kijiji lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment