Sunday, August 21, 2011

27 weeks! 13 left to go...

And holy moley have I been delinquent about updating. Here's the whole shebang from the last 4 weeks.

After my last post, we found out that we needed to go back yet AGAIN for anatomy ultrasound #4... Our OB said that nothing was wrong, it was just that they still weren't able to see everything they needed to. I'd never heard of 4 anatomy ultrasounds for one little baby and despite my doctor's reassurances, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried.

Anatomy ultrasound #4 was on Tuesday, August 9 at 10:45 am (at just over 25 weeks), and we went back to the same place as our previous one which was awesome. Thankfully our baby was much more cooperative! He kept his boy parts hidden until the end (he loves to cross those legs!) but a good side view showed his penis in all it's glory so I felt much better having a second visual confirmation. We had only seen his boy parts the once at 18 weeks, and everything we have for him so far is blue and very much for a little boy.

The most important thing though was that our little guy is healthy. The very sweet tech had no appointments for a while after ours, so she took a bunch of 3D shots of his face. It was so incredible to see his chubby little cheeks and features! He totally has my nose and Nate's lips. He was also sleeping with his hand tucked under his chin again and pouting... Just like I do! Here are pictures of the pictures (I will replace with the actual files next week):

We had our 26 week OBGYN appointment Friday, August 12, and it went great! No wait again as usual... We were actually 20 minutes early and prepared to wait, but no one was before us so they got us in right away. Bonus! We saw a really nice intern before our doctor came in to see how we were doing, and she was finally able to sign off on all of our baby's anatomy scans. Everything was completely normal which was a huge relief after our elevated Downs risk and the number of ultrasounds we had. Most of our little guy measured within the 50th percentile, though his head measured in the 85th. That kind of freaked me out a bit as I realized that head would be the first part of him coming out of me within the next few months haha! I think up until I heard that I was in denial that what goes in must come out! My belly was measuring right on as well, and his heartbeat was fantastic. I love hearing it on the doppler! No other issues to complain of, and my weight gain is good so far.

The next day, on Saturday, August 13, we had our "entertainment" 3D ultrasound at UC Baby. We brought my mom and Nate's mom with us. Despite a slurpee beforehand and the 6(!!!) suckers the tech made me eat (like as in chew, not suck on... If I ever see another sucker I will puke!) our little man was hunkered down for a nap in breech position cuddled up against my placenta. He did flash his boy parts right at the beginning, and at one point he had one of his feet up by his head which was so cute. Despite not shifting after I switched positions and jiggled my belly all over the place to get him to move, we still were able to watch him suck his thumb and fist, grab his toes and the umbilical cord, yawn and swallow and even open his eyes and blink at us! He also flexed his biceps at us several times which had us all cracking up. He's just soooo frigging cute and it was amazing to see his little features in so much detail. Mommy and Daddy's hearts absolutely melted, and both Grandma's were pretty smitten too. I'm so in love with him already! We got some great printed pics to tide us over but not the CD or DVD yet as they are going to have us back in 2 weeks free of charge for another attempt. I'm definitely not complaining... Can't wait to see him yet again! Afterwards, we all joined Nate's dad at Scicillian Pasta Kitchen for a celebratory supper. It was a great night, and we really enjoyed being able to share that special ultrasound with both of our moms.

On Monday, August 15th, I had part one of the gestational diabetes screen as well as some other standard lab tests. However, I didn't realize I needed a urine test as well, and for the first time this pregnancy I didn't have to pee. Totally Murphy's Law because since getting pregnant, I ALWAYS have to pee! It took me 20 minutes to squeeze enough into that damn cup and my little guy was not impressed with all the straining! That was probably the worst part of the whole experience for me. After I managed to give them that sample, they gave me The Dreaded Drink and I chugged that nasty orange concoction down super fast so I wouldn't taste it. BAD idea. I almost heaved it all up again. All I could think about while trying not to puke was what the lab tech said when she handed it to me: "Don't throw it up ok?" Right. Because I can help that. Bleh. Anyways, I kept it down somehow, but it wasn't carbonated like some ladies I know have had, and it tasted like cold, slightly watered down orange cough syrup. Then I just had to wait it out for an hour which wasn't so bad thanks to my iPhone. They definitely ought to have a couple of comfy padded seats designated for pregnant people and the elderly though. One hour in those chairs is torture!

The next day my OB's office called to tell me I failed round 1, which sucks. I wasn't terribly surprised... I have PCOS of course, and with that comes insulin resistance (at least it does for me). So I was booked to do the 2 hour version this past Friday at 27 weeks exactly. It wasn't as bad... this time I'd learned to drink smaller amounts at a time, like shooters, so I barely tasted it. I did need 3 blood draws (one before, one at 1 hour, one at 2 hours) but I'm used to needles so that part was easy. The worst was having to sit in that stupid uncomfy chair for 2 hours while feeling nauseous from The Dreaded Drink, and starving from fasting over 12 hours. All I could think about was McDonald's breakfast (bad I know!) which was exactly where I headed after I finished the test. I made it with 5 minutes to spare until they switched over to lunch. Whoo! I should find out tomorrow if I passed or not.

In other news, the nursery is almost done! I've debated posting pictures of the progress so far, but I'm going to be mean and make you all wait until everything is done. I may post pics before the painting my mom is working on is done though, as that could take a while yet. I love how it has turned out... It's so calming and cheerful, and I find any excuse I can to hang out in there and organize his closet and drawers. I have also discovered I have a shopping problem. I cannot stop buying for my little man when it comes to clothes. With showers coming up in October, I. Must. Resist.

I will be posting a ton of pictures and some video of the 3D ultrasound after part 2 on September 1st.

Here are some belly pics to tide you over:

26 Weeks

27 Weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment